Pedestrian Safety Tips to Keep You Safe This Halloween
Halloween is a fun holiday to celebrate, but it is not without its risks. Auto accidents involving pedestrians significantly increase on Halloween night due to the increased presence of intoxicated drivers and an increased amount of pedestrians walking at night when visibility is lowest. At Goeing Goeing & McQuinn PLLC, we care about your safety, which is why we have put together this list of pedestrian safety tips to help you avoid an injury this Halloween.
- Always walk on the sidewalk. Trick-or-treaters should stick to the sidewalk and avoid walking in the street. Be extra careful around any driveways you pass and watch for oncoming or backing vehicles.
- Use crosswalks where available. If you need to cross the street, use designated crosswalks and obey the signals. If there is no crosswalk available, make sure that you look both ways and cross at a corner rather than in the middle of the street or from between parked cars.
- Increase your visibility. Many pedestrian accidents occur because the driver didn’t see the pedestrian in the dark. Increase your visibility and your child’s visibility by carrying flashlights, wearing glow sticks, and/or adding reflective tape to your costumes.
- Avoid distractions. Walking at night while looking down at a cell phone or while listening to music through headphones can make you unaware of your surroundings. Put away any distractions so that you can focus on having fun while staying safe.
- Always yield to oncoming vehicles. Never assume that a driver sees you or will stop for you, even if you have the right of way.
Pedestrian safety information bears repeating not just at Halloween, but anytime during the year, so please share this information with your friends and family. We hope you have a happy and safe Halloween!
The Lexington personal injury attorneys at Goeing Goeing & McQuinn PLLC represent victims of preventable accidents throughout Kentucky. If you or a family member has been injured in a pedestrian accident or another type of accident and you have questions about your legal options, please contact our firm to request a complimentary case evaluation. We can be reached at (859) 534-9327.