The Main Causes Of Fatal Car Accidents In Kentucky
In the United States, over 40,000 people each year are killed in automobile accidents.Car crashes that occur in Kentucky make up a significant portion of the number of people who succumbed to their injuries nationwide. This translates to over 110 people dying on a daily basis due to car crashes. Otherwise stated, a person dies in a car crash approximately every 13 minutes in the U.S. With this in mind, there are several reasons why fatal accidents occur in Kentucky and across the country as a whole. The main reasons for these types of tragic accidents are as follows:
- Drunk driving. In Kentucky, a large percentage of life threatening accidents are caused by drivers who drink, become too impaired to drive, and then, decide to get behind the wheel. In other words, they have a blood alcohol concentration, or BAC, of 0.08% or more when caught driving under the influence.
- Impaired driving. Drivers who take prescription drugs or other types of narcotics also contribute to a large portion of fatal car accidents in Kentucky. Unfortunately, not everyone knows how a certain drug will affect them, especially if it is a first time prescription. When they get behind the wheel, this can have disastrous consequences.
- Old age. As people get older, they tend to have more difficulty seeing, especially at night. Aged persons also have weaker reflexes, which makes it more challenging for them to reach in time to avoid a serious accident. We have handled numerous cases where a person was injured due to a driver who clearly should not have been behind the wheel in the first place.
- Driving while "intexticated". People who drive while texting on a cell phone or due to some other type of distraction contribute to a high percentage of fatal accidents in Kentucky. In fact, numerous people are injured each year in Kentucky due to distracted driving, despite its strict distracted driving laws aimed at prohibited texting while operating a vehicle.
- Aggressive driving. Also referred to as road rage, this causes a significant amount of serious accidents in Kentucky. With an ever expanding population, more people are vulnerable to the rage of others while on the road.
- Poor road conditions. During the intense summer heat, potholes and other road hazards are likely to develop, causing dangerous road conditions for drivers. Especially for those that are unfamiliar with the area, these types of unexpected conditions can cause serious and sometimes fatal car accidents.
- Physical impairment/disability. Several accidents are caused in Kentucky due to people who either should not be driving due to a disability ( i.e.impaired vision) or other physically limiting condition. While it is definitely unfortunate that a person is suffering from a disability or physical impairment, it is no excuse for them to engage in dangerous behavior by getting behind the wheel and potentially disabling others.
For additional information on the above, or if you or someone that you love has been injured in an automobile accident, the knowledgeable Winchester and Lexington Kentucky car accident lawyers at Goeing Goeing and McQuinn, PLLCcan provide you with the aggressive and effective legal representation that you deserve. Don't wait another day to fight for the financial compensation that you need now to cover your expenses.