The Steps to Take After Being in a Car Accident
Anyone can get caught in a violent car accident without warning. With the number of car accidents rising in recent years, the unfortunate reality is that all of us are more likely than ever to be struck by a negligent motorist. In case you get hit and hurt, you need to know what to do to help maximize your compensation in any subsequent personal injury claim filings.
After being in a car crash, be sure to follow these key steps:
- Pull over to the side of the road if possible. Try to leave the flow of traffic as much as is reasonable.
- Make certain everyone involved in the accident is safe and sound. If anyone has been injured, or if there is significant damage to any vehicles, you need to call for emergency responders.
- Do not apologize for anything, even if you think you are to blame for the crash. Simply saying “sorry” will be misconstrued as an admission of guilt by insurance companies, potentially raising your liability.
- Start to collect evidence. Photographs on your cellphone should include multiple angles of the crash. See if any passersby have stopped and are willing to give testimonies of what they saw.
- If the police arrive, ask them to give you a copy of their accident reports. They may find useful information or evidence you did not notice.
- See a doctor as soon as you can to ensure you do not have any serious, underlying injuries. Even if you feel completely fine, get a checkup. Otherwise, you increase your liability if any injuries are found in the future.
Lastly, you need to start considering getting legal help for your car accident claim. Many people prefer to retain a car accident attorney before they actually call their insurance company to report the accident, which also needs to be done quite soon. Talking to a lawyer can help you know what to say and what not to say to your insurer, potentially minimizing your liability.
Contact Goeing Goeing & McQuinn PLLC and our Georgetown car accident attorneys if you get into a crash and need help. We react quickly to car accident claims and do everything in our power to keep liability off our clients’ shoulders. Our top priority is getting you every last penny you deserve to help pay for medical bills, vehicle damage, lost wages, and more. Free initial consultations are available.